I had the most amazing idea: a concert of songs from fantasy and sci-fi movies and t.v. shows. Maybe it could even be a revue, with costumes and scenery and people acting stuff out! Here’s my envisioned line-up:
1. “Storybook Love” – ending credits song from Princess Bride
2. “Going Through the Motions” – Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Once More, With Feeling
3. “Jolly Sailor Bold” – Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (song starts at about 1:25)
4. “The Hero of Canton, The Ballad of Jayne Cobb” – Firefly: Jaynestown
5. “Hey Ho To the Bottle I Go/The Green Dragon” (medley)- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings
6. “Lapti Nek” – Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (the newer one, sung in Jabba’s palace)
7. “Funny Little Things” – The Hobbit (1977 Animated film)
8. “Double Trouble” – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
9. “Hoist the Colours” – Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End
10. “Misty Mountains Cold” – The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
11. “Walk Through the Fire” – Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Once More, With Feeling
12. “The Ballad of Serenity” – Firefly (theme song)
13. “Faith of the Heart” – Enterprise (theme song – extended version)
13. “So Long and Thanks for All the Fish” – The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (finale)
I tried to put the songs in an order that makes sense, according to theme and feel of the music. I mean, come on, obviously, “Come, my love, I’ll tell you a tale…” is the perfect beginning, and “So long” is clearly the end. (Which is kind of ironic, since the former is played during the ending credits and the latter during the opening credits.)
I also tried to keep it varied, with songs from a variety of franchises, hence only choosing two songs from Buffy the Musical. When there were multiple choices from the same show, I chose the songs that I thought were the most iconic and/or most easily understood without context and, hence, best for a musical revue.
Some of these songs seriously need to be longer. Hobbit drinking songs are pretty awesome.
Go ahead and hate on Enterprise if you want to. Yes, the show sucked, but I loved the opening song. Besides, there was nothing else to represent Star Trek.
What do you think? What would you add, delete, or rearrange? What song simply must be included? Share your thoughts in the comments below!