Going along with my post “Life is Too Short to Wear Boring Socks,” I thought I’d make a list of some of life’s simple joys. After all, most of life is made up of everyday moments, not the really exciting ones that get movies made about them.
I believe in savoring the little things that make life good. Such as:
- A hot shower – I love few things more than a hot shower to start my day or at the end of it. I sing as I scrub, or just ponder life.
- A good long chunk of time to read a good book – Or even a not very good book that’s just fun to read. I absolutely love reading, and nothing is better than a long period of uninterrupted reading.
- A good conversation – Conversation with friends can make any bad day a little better. I like conversation that is lively, interesting, stimulating, or just plain funny.
- Reminiscing – Can be included with the good conversation. I had a lot of fun making some of those memories, so it’s nice to remember them, especially with good friends.
- Hugs – Even science says this is a good idea. The best ones are when I feel unlovable, and someone surprises me with a warm, affectionate hug.
- The Sky – I love to look up at the sky! I love to see clouds, stars, and sunsets. Somehow, looking at the sky always makes me feel hopeful for the future, kind of like the sky’s the limit. Corny, I know, but nice all the same.
- Nature – Goes along with the one above. Nature is so beautiful, it’s nice to stop and admire it once in a while. Especially when it is unexpected, like a shockingly beautiful flower in an otherwise urban setting.
- Comfort Food – In my case, this means almost anything with cheese, or even just cheese by itself. Usually I’m so busy I just scarf down my food, but sometimes it’s nice to really savor the flavors.
- A Cup of Herbal Tea – I have a cup of apple cinnamon tea every morning at work, and it has become an important part of my morning. It centers me and helps me feel ready for the day.
- Family Time – Even if we’re not really doing anything special or important. I realized awhile back that nothing in my life is as important as my family. Sometimes I have something I want to do and I feel annoyed at having to interrupt it, but I always feel better for spending time with my family.
- Writing My Thoughts – I’ve been a prolific journal writer ever since I was eight. I guess a blog is really just an extension of that. Sometimes I have so many thoughts jumbling around in my head that I just have to get them out.
- Praise and Appreciation – It’s so nice to be noticed and appreciated. Even little compliments on my hair or my jewelry are nice. Whenever I post something online, I’m eager to see what others have thought about it. When I’m getting to know someone, I want to know if they like me.
- Giving Compliments – I love when someone really appreciates a compliment I give them.
- Giving an Awesome Gift – The difference between politeness and true enthusiasm is so apparent. It’s fun to give a gift you know someone is really going to enjoy.
- That Moment Your Student Gets It – When they get a new concept or skill, especially after repeated attempts, or when they make a personal connection to what they’re learning, or suddenly make a really insightful remark. That is so why I teach.
- The Funny Things Kids Say – My favorite part of teaching is being with the kids. They really surprise me with some of the things they say!
- When a Movie or T.V. Show You Thought Would Suck Turns Out to Be Really Awesome – You know, that movie you watch with your significant other to make him or her happy. It’s pretty cool when it actually turns out to be entertaining.
I think that’s enough for now. What are your simple joys? Share them in the comments below!